Ancestor Approved Award

Saturday, December 04, 2010


 Leslie Ann  presented me with the Ancestor Approved Award yesterday, Thank you so much for the acknowledgement. The award comes with a request that you List ten things that you have learned about your ancestors that surprised, humbled, or enlightened you and to Pass the award to ten other genealogy bloggers.


 My list of 10: 

1. My fourth great Grandfather Alexander Smith was a solider in the 3rd Regiment of Foot in Scotland in 1780.

2.  I found that searching the last name of Smith was not as hard as I first thought it would be. That if you learn the naming pattern of your family and their homeland you will have a better chance of finding the right John Smith (8 so far in my family).

3. I was surprised to see how long my ancestors lived, most living well into their late 80's.

4. I was surprised to learn that my Maternal Grandmother had married someone before my grandfather at the age of 17, and that the marriage only lasted 6 weeks.

5. I have found that what you have been told by family and what is recorded in records are sometimes very different stories.

6.  That a picture is really worth a million words or more if you look for the hints in it.

7.  I've been enlightened to find so many strangers willing to help in the  journey of tracing your family.

8. I was surprised and sad to find that my 3rd great grandfather had died in a poorhouse in England.

9. Very Surprised when a long lost Cousin found my blog and contacted me

10. Amazed when I found my paternal grandparents names online, since my dads adoption records are sealed this was a huge discovery.

I'm going to think about the 10 blogs I will pass this on to as there are so many out there, I will post the 10 at a later date.
     

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © ~Spirits Of The Old~ 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.