Saturday, February 12, 2011

Surname Saturday~Ironside~

                                 ~ Ironside ~
This famous and long-established surname may be either of medieval English or Scottish origin.Scottish bearers of the surname derive their name from Ironside in the parish of New Deer, Aberdeenshire, or from Earnside near Newburgh, Fife, so called from the Olde English elements "earn", eagle, and "side", side (of a hill)


1766 Baptism Record

 Margaret Ironside my 4X Great Grandmother born to James Ironside and Margaret Stroth (could be Strath) December of 1765, she was baptized on the first day of January 1766 in New Deer, Aberdeenshire Scotland. Margaret married William Matthew on June 20th 1782 and they raised 5 children together. I have not been able to find a record of death yet, but I did find Margaret on the 1841 census living in Little Gight, Aberdeenshire. I hope to post more very soon on my Ironside family line~

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I too have a Margaret Ironside born in New Deer. Mine is my 3x great grandmother born in 1816 to John Ironside and Joanna Dow. I wonder if yours may be an aunt of mine.

    ReplyDelete