Saturday, March 05, 2011

Fearless Females ~ How They Met

Doreen Mary Smith and Ronald Hirst (Sivinski)
My Parents met on a blind date in the mid 1940's. My dad's best friend, Johnny Horne wanted to go out with a girl named Shirley Coulter, but Shirley would not go out with him unless he brought a date for her best friend Doreen. Johnny asked my dad if he would go but dad had to work that evening and fearing he would be set up with someone he was not attracted too came up with a plan. He would wait across the street for the two girls to get off the bus and then he would decide if he was going on the date or going to work. The bus pulled up, Shirley and Doreen stepped off the bus.....and well the rest is history. My parents would marry in the year of 1948 and not long after Johnny and Shirley would marry as well.


Lisa Alzo,  has brought back a 31-day series of blogging themes called Fearless Females, in honor of celebrating March as Women's History Month. To read more about this series visit Lisa's blog the Accidental Genealogist

3 comments:

  1. Tracie, this photograph of your parents is beautiful and I love the story of how they met.

    I'm giving you the One Beautiful Blog Award. The post will go up on my blog -http://nancysfamilyhistoryblog.blogspot.com - tomorrow evening where you can come and copy the image and learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for honoring my blog with this award..... I will get to work passing this on to 15 other blogs and post my choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...this is a great story. It was love at first sight. Thanks for sharing the story and the photo! They're a lovely couple.

    ReplyDelete