Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Fearless Females ~ Mary Isabella

 March 2 — Post a photo of one of your female ancestors. Who is in the photo? When was it taken? Why did you select this photo?


She was Born Mary Isabella Imlah the illegitimate daughter of a domestic servant in Aberdeen Scotland in1866. By the 1871 census she would be known as Mary Bella Watson and living with her grandparents Peter and Mary Imlah.  Mary Bella as she is known to her family is my Great Grandmother and what I love about this photo that was taken probably around the 1880's is the look in her eyes and her pose, to me she has a look of determination and Strength thats says "I Am A fearless Female".


Lisa Alzo,  has brought back a 31-day series of blogging themes called Fearless Females, in honor of celebrating March as Women's History Month. To read more about this series visit Lisa's blog the Accidental Genealogist

2 comments:

  1. great photo and I love the subject, I have quite a few fearless females :) Any idea who her father is ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and thank you for the kind words :) Mary Bella shows on her first census as Mary Isabella Watson, and on her marriage record she list her dad as James Watson, I posted a few weeks ago on who I thought James Watson might be and my thoughts on why James and Mary Bella's mother did not marry.
    http://spiritsoftheold.blogspot.com/2011/01/mystery-mondaywill-real-james-watson.html

    Thank you for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete