Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sepia Saturday~ Mystery Piper



The photo above is from an album that belonged to my Great Grandmother, Mary Bella Watson. Most of the photos are of her mothers side of the family the "Imlah's". Other than the last name  Imlah has been written on the back of the photo I have no clue as to which family member it is or the year it was taken. I did a quick search on Google to see if I could find any information on the photographer I thought perhaps finding the years he was in business might help me determine the year of the photo, but so far I have not found any history for him. I did zoom in on the photo and have verified with the Gordon Highlander Museum that the Emblem on the pipers Sporran is that of a Gordon Highlander.





To view more Sepia Saturday, or to join in visit Sepia Saturday

12 comments:

  1. There was a James Auld, photographer, in Edinburgh - perhaps this link might help?
    http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/pp/pp_auld.htm
    Jo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks like a good tip above. What a great mystery. I hope you are able to narrow it down. In any case, it wonderful to know he's a relative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo~ Thank you I will check the link out :)

    Christine~ LOL my whole family has been a great mystery, but I love the search and the thrill of finally solving it. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hope that you can find out more about the photo and also the photographer. It's a great photo and the back is almost a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo! Looks to be 1880's - see these similar backs:
    http://www.cartes.freeuk.com/time/back85.htm

    The tartan and hat style might provide a military unit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a wonderful photo! Great tip about searching for the photographer, I think I will try that today for some of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marilyn and SW Arkie: thank you for the kind words and for stopping by :)

    Mike: thank you for the link I will check it out today and bookmark it as I'm it is one I will refer to often...Thank you for your help and stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a great photograph. It seems like it would be hard to date it based only on the clothing (assuming that a bagpiper's "costume" remained pretty much the same over long periods of time). I hope you have success dating the photo - and finding out who it is, too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was told that Alexander Imlah, who married Louisa Duff Mitchell in 1859, was a piper. They lived at Woodside at Delgaty, near Turriff just before traveling to Oregon in 1872.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mike
    I doubt this Piper would be him as the photo is most likely 1880 and after and it was taken in Scotland and since Alex and Louisa left for the US in 1872.. but if you have any photos of Alexander that we could compare it too? also I have Mystery photos from Great Grandma Mary Bella's Album that may be Alexander. I sent you an email the other day :) We need to talk and exchange information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tracie,
    I didn't get the email. My email address is imlah@easystreet.net Hope to hear from you soon.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  12. emailed you this morning Mike...hope it went through this time.

    ReplyDelete