The School Portrait - Life's A Journey Series

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Helen at Save Every Step  Ask that we revisit a memory our past and share it on  our blog each week. This week's theme - The School Portrait.
 
1962 my first year of School,That's me in the second row, fifth from the left in the yellow dress with the frown on her face.  I remember being so excited that I was finally going to school like my big sister, I also remember struggling to pronounce my New teachers name, Miss Higginbotham.. what a mouth full for a 5 year old.  The slide you see in the back ground of the picture was my favorite piece of school yard equipment  to play on at recess, unfortunately there was a bolt that stuck out at the top that I some how always managed to get my dress caught on as I was sliding down causing my dress to rip at the waist, the teacher would send me to the office where  the school Secretary would take out her stapler and staple my dress back together and send me back to play. Everyday mom would tell me to stay off the slide and everyday I returned home with my dress stapled together. 

Fast forward to 1967 Mrs. Parker's fifth Grade class, the class photo I have always kept hidden. That's me on the top row, first one on the left, the one with the Bad hair do, a cold sore and wrinkled dress! This was my first class picture without mom to do my hair or Iron my dress the night before picture day. Mom  died just a month before this picture was taken  and dad was still trying to adjust to taking care of three daughters so I picked out my own outfit and did my own hair, from the looks of my hair I honestly don't think I remember to brush it at all.

3 comments:

LindaRe said...

What wonderful class pictures. I think your mother would have been proud of you.

Helen Spencer said...

That's so cute, funny and yet sooooo terribly sad at the same time. I can't imagine how you must have coped, or mustered a smile for this photo.
Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Ditto LindaRe, your mom would have been very very proud.

Linda said...

Thank you for sharing these photos and the poignant memories that go with them. I can only imagine how personal these are to you and how difficult they must have been to post, yet they are testimony to your mother's love for you, as well as your own love for her. That you care so much to write about this and your family history are a great gift not only to your loved ones and future descendants but also to many others who will read this and be inspired by it.

Post a Comment

Blog contents © ~Spirits Of The Old~ 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.