Amanuensis Monday~ Last Will and Testament of James Center

Monday, May 14, 2012

 
Amanuensis Monday – An Amanuensis is a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another. Amanuensis Monday is a daily blogging theme which encourages the family historian to transcribe family letters, journals, audiotapes, and other historical artifacts. Not only do the documents contain genealogical information, the words breathe life into kin – some we never met – others we see a time in their life before we knew them. A fuller explanation can be found here.
                                                            Ext.
Testament
of
James Center
1855
At Aberdeen the Twelfth day of October in the year One thousand eight hundred and fifty five in the presence of Archibald Davidson Esquire advocate Commissary  of the Commissariat  of Aberdeen compeared John Yeats advocate in Aberdeen as Procurator and gave in the Testament under written executes by the after designed now deceased James Center and now craved that the same might (along with an Inventory of the Personal Estate of the said deceased)
 be insert and registered in the Commissary Court Books of Aberdeen in the terms of the Acts of Parliament  44 Geo. III Cap. 98 and 48 Geo. III Cap 149 which request the Commissary foresaid finding reasonable ordained the same to be done accordingly and of which Testament  the tenor follows viz: I James Center farmer X Whitehill parish of New Deer being at present sound in mind, memory and judgment and having determined to settle my worldly affairs so as to prevent all disputes there-anent after my death.  Do hereby make my last Will and Testament as follows viz- I hereby nominate and appoint my son George Center who is my partner in my farm to be my sole Executor, haill and universal Legator  and Intromitter with my whole goods, gear,debts,sums of money and Effects and in general all moveable and personal property and Estate of every kind, and whenever situated, that may pertain and be xesting owing to me, or in which I may be in any wise interested at the time of me death, with full power to him to enter upon possession and management, and sue for recovery of the same, and confirm testament and with all other powers competent to an Executor by the law of Scotland, but always under the following burdens viz- First of paying all my just and lawful debts and deathbed and funeral expenses. secondly of giving to my wife Isabel Hunter or Center who is to reside with you, one third part of my moveable or personal Estate- Thirdly to  give
to my Eldest daughter Jean Center or Smith, wife of William Smith Kirk Officer New deer the sum of Eight pounds sp.for a Cow- fourthly to give to my second daughter Isabel Center or Corbet wife of Alexander Corbet Whitehill the sum of Two pounds Sp. and a like sum of Two pounds Sp. to my other daughter Helen Center or Watson wife of William Watson in Ironside- and this I declare to be my last Will and Testament revoking all former Testaments made by me heretofore (if any have been) and I dispense with the delivery hereof declaring that the same shall be valid and effecutal  though found in my custody or in that of any other person at the time of my death undelivered any law or practice to the contrary notwithstanding  and I consent to the registration hereof in the books of Council and Session or others competent for preservation and execution as affairs and thereto constitute my procurators in witness whereof I have subscribed these presents written by the Reverend James Welsh, Minster of New deer at Whitehill this Twenty eighth day of February Eight hundred and fifty one years before these witnesses John Falconer farmer and Alexander Greig Schoolmaster Whitehill. (Signed) James Center, John Falconer Witness, Al Greig Witness. Extracted on the this and four proceeding pages by me. Commissary Clerk Deputy of Aberdeenshire.

*** James Center my 4th Great Grandfather  1777~1855

1 comments:

Faith Barron said...

It is so great that they were able to preserve the original will.


last will and testament free

Post a Comment

Blog contents © ~Spirits Of The Old~ 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.