Amanuensis Monday~John Imlah Last Will And Testament

Monday, November 19, 2012

Amanuensis Monday – An Amanuensis is a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another. Amanuensis Monday is a daily blogging theme which encourages the family historian to transcribe family letters, journals, audiotapes, and other historical artifacts. Not only do the documents contain genealogical information, the words breathe life into kin – some we never met – others we see a time in their life before we knew them. A fuller explanation can be found here

 EXTRACT
WILL
OF
JOHN IMLAH
DECEASED.
 
ABERDEEN, 26th SEPTEMBER,1918.
PNTIA JOHN CAMPBELL LORIMER, K.C.
PRESENTED BY David Troup, Solicitor in Peterhead.
 

I, John Imlah, retired crofter, Weetingshill, New Deer, in order to regulate the settlement of my affairs in the event of my death, Do hereby appoint Mr Alexander Horne, Clothier, New Deer, and Mr Peter Crighton, Bank Agent, New Deer, or the survivor or     survivors of them to be my Executors and Trustees, and I hereby give, assign & dispone to them or the survivor of them my whole heritable & moveable estate, wheresoever situated, but that for the following purposes:- First, for payment of my just & lawful debts, sickbed & Funeral expenses & the expenses connected with the winding up of my affairs; Second for payment to the aforesaid Alexander Horne of the sum of Five pounds Stg and to the aforesaid Peter Crighton of the sum of Ten pounds Stg. Third for payment to my brother Alexander Imlah, of the sum of Fifty pounds Stg. But I direct that my Trustees & Executors shall pay this legacy only in the event of the said Alexander Imlah having paid before my will comes into effect, that is, before my death, the interest accrued on the loans amounting to One hundred & seventy pounds Stg which he has from me, and on which the interest is meantime considerably in arrears, Fourth for payment to the managers of the Congregational Church, New Deer for the funds of the congregation, the sum of Twenty pounds Stg. Fifth for the erection of a suitable tombstone on my grave in New Deer Cemetry (sic) the sum of Thirty pounds  Stg. Sixth I leave the whole residue of my estate, after deduction of the aforesaid debts expenses & legacies, to my wife Margaret/Margaret Watt or Imlah, in liferent. Seventh after my wife’s death I ordain & instruct my Executors & Trustees to pay the whole residue of my estate in equal portions among the following (that is one ninth part to each) my brother James Imlah   No. 1 Long Street, Barre Vermont, my natural son William Imlah, my natural daughters Barbara Imlah, Annie Imlah or Rankine (sic),  Jessie Imlah, Helen Georgina Imlah, my brother in law Cumming Smith, 188 Gerrard Street, Aberdeen, my sister Isabella Imlah or Kindness, and my sister in law Mrs Shirran or Imlah

:- IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have signed these presents at Weetingshills (sic),  New Deer this Nineteenth day of April Nineteen hundred and seventeen years before the following witness (sic), viz; Helen Connon or Kelman, Domestic Servant, Weetingshill, New Deer and Albert Taylor, Postboy, 87 Main Street, New Deer.
 (Signed) John Imlah
Helen Kelman Witness Albert Taylor Witness.
 
 
 


**John Imlah my GG Uncle, the son of Peter Imlah and Mary Wilson.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © ~Spirits Of The Old~ 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.